Thursday, April 30, 2015

Why don't people like baseball?

The Houston Astros have had a rough few years, to say the least. Aside from losing 100+ games per season and missing out on signing draft picks, there has still been glimmers of hope with the young studs growing up in the farm system. Even at my most optimistic, I was thinking 2017 would be when this team could finally have a chance at winning the division, but here we are, 21 games into the 2015 season, and H-Town is sitting at the top of the AL West with a 14-7 record.

The only problem? Nobody seems to care.

You know how you have certain friends you can text about certain topics? You know, like if something crazy happens with the Houston Texans, you can pretty much text anybody in the city. If something crazy happens with the Houston Rockets, you have a plethora of fans in your mind who you'd want to discuss it with. If something crazy happens with the Houston Astros? I can't even think of 10 people who would know the name of our starting third baseman.

My wife will sit through just about any other athletic event with me other than baseball. She, along with thousands of other people, simply finds the game boring. I thought it was primarily an Asian mindset until I saw this:


I love baseball. I can sit at home on my couch and watch every pitch. I remember the first time someone walked in on me watching baseball in college, they were bewildered. They couldn't believe I enjoyed watching baseball on TV, much less every single play. A lot of it probably has to do with nostalgia. I grew up back when the Astros were owning the NL Central, and going to the 18-inning series clincher against the Atlanta Braves is a sports moment I will never forget.

But my man Chris Rock is right. The sport IS too old-fashioned. There shouldn't be an unspoken code of conduct or "right" way to play the game. If anything, the league needs more showboats and outspoken players to garner some attention from the younger generation. 

I blame Bud Selig. Times have changed, but that Bud stayed the same. It wasn't until last year that the MLB finally allowed some of their plays to be shown on YouTube. Up til that point, the only major league baseball coverage you could find online was some grainy cell phone coverage taken from the upper deck or at a sports bar.

Long story short, I need more baseball people in my life. If you are an avid fan, please inquire within.

2 comments:

  1. Reasons why I don't enjoy baseball:

    1. There are too many games for a single game to be relevant enough to watch..therefore not enough drama
    2. There is way too much time that passes in between pitches...makes me lose interest
    3. It's boring. (See point #2)
    4. Quite simply, I just don't understand the strategy enough.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Agreed, but oddly enough, it all still comes down to the last few games.
      2. FWIW, MLB is trying to install a "shot clock" of sorts to speed up the game.
      3. I respectfully disagree.
      4. Fair enough!

      Delete