Tuesday, June 2, 2015

The Best NBA Players by Number

So this infographic came out...


...and since I'm not watching the NBA Finals and am currently stuck at work when I should be playing golf, I'll just make this the last NBA-related thing my brain processes for the 2014-15 season.

Here are my thoughts.  Read through them if you're bored.

00 – ROBERT PARISH

All I know is I was very disappointed whenever I pulled a Robert Parish card in a basketball card pack.

0 – RUSSELL WESTBROOK

Should've been Gilbert Arenas.  Westbrook had a magical regular season, but he will probably never come close to the number of buzzer-beating game-winners Agent Zero had in his 2006-07 season alone.  Also props for the best player-written blog of all time.

1 – OSCAR ROBERTSON

This should have been TMAC.  I know it, you know it, even Oscar knows it.  Especially since Oscar shows up again on this list at #14.  Ugh.

2 – MOSES MALONE

Fo', fo', fo'.

3 – ALLEN IVERSON

No matter what the question was, Allen Iverson was the Answer.  I'm not into jerseys anymore, but if I was, I'd be sniping for a 76ers throwback.

4 – DOLPH SCHAYES

This dude was apparently inducted into the Hall of Fame in 1972, but it should have been Charles Barkley on the Rockets, even though I'll never forgive Houston GM Carroll Dawson for trading away Sam Cassell and Robert Horry for the Round Mound of Rebound.

5 – KEVIN GARNETT

Transformed his position.  I've had many a sports argument involving the Big Ticket.

6 – BILL RUSSELL

Sorry not sorry, LeBron.

7 – PETE MARAVICH

I think I would have really enjoyed watching Pistol Pete play basketball.

8 – KOBE BRYANT

Fine, but if Latrell Sprewell didn't have so many mouths to feed...

9 – BOB PETTIT

First thought that came to my mind was Bostjan Nachbar.

10 – WALT FRAZIER

I'm less than thrilled that this isn't Sam Cassell's name.

11 – KARL MALONE

So happy that both Yao Ming and Isiah Thomas got overlooked for Laker Karl Malone.

12 – JOHN STOCKTON

NBA all-time assists AND steals leader is no joke.

13 – WILT CHAMBERLAIN

100.

14 – OSCAR ROBERTSON

#1 and #14?  So greedy.  And so little respect for the greatness that is Tracy McGrady.

15 – HAL GREER

Who?

16 – BOB LANIER

Okay.

17 – JOHN HAVLICEK

Fair enough.

18 – DAVE COWENS

2 Celtics in a row?

19 – WILLIS REED

You can't teach heart.

20 – GARY PAYTON

I loved watching the Glove play defense.

21 – TIM DUNCAN

Greatest power forward of all time.

22 – ELGIN BAYLOR

Sorry, Clyde.

23 – MICHAEL JORDAN

Duh.

24 – RICK BARRY

Happy Kobe is only on here once.

25 – VINCE CARTER

They clearly misspelled ROBERT HORRY.  Shot clock running down with the game on the line, do you want Vinsanity or Big Shot Bob?  'Nuff said.

26 – BUDDY JEANNETTE

Buddy?

27 – JACK TWYMAN

Would you know if they made the name up?

28 – SAM CASSELL

MY MAN!

29 – MARCUS CAMBY

So underrated.

30 – BERNARD KING

Respect.

31 – REGGIE MILLER

Every time I hear Reggie commentate a game, I regret ever cheering for him in any capacity.

32 – MAGIC JOHNSON

I wish I got to see Magic in his prime.

33 – KAREEM ABDUL-JABBAR

I'm just glad this isn't Scottie Pippen.

34 – HAKEEM OLAJUWON

THE DREAM!

35 – KEVIN DURANT

Hook 'em!

36 – SHAQUILLE O'NEAL

I guaransheed that Rasheed Wallace is pissed that he can't even beat out Celtic Shaq.

37 – METTA WORLD PEACE

Every team needs a little crazy.

38 – KWAME BROWN

lol.

39 – GREG OSTERTAG

lol x2.

40 – SHAWN KEMP

Cocaine is a helluva drug.

41 – DIRK NOWITZKI

I've always admired Dirk ever since he was on Punk'd.  Such a nice dude.

42 – NATE THURMOND

Nate the Great.

43 – JACK SIKMA

Shouts out to former Rockets assistant coach.

44 – JERRY WEST

The logo.

45 – MICHAEL JORDAN

I wanted this #45 jersey so bad back in the day.

46 – BO OUTLAW

Bo knows.

47 – JERRY LUCAS

Jerry Lucas, not to be confused with John Lucas.

48 – NAZR MOHAMMED

This guy has played in the NBA for 22 years.  Years.

49 – SHANDON ANDERSON

Former Houston Rocket!

50 – DAVID ROBINSON

D-Rob is lucky he's still on this list after what Hakeem did to him.

51 – METTA WORLD PEACE

Obviously, there was a method behind the madness.  Second MWP sighting already.

52 – JAMAAL WILKES

Another Laker.

53 – ARTIS GILMORE

Happy Gilmore.

54 – HORACE GRANT

Remember the goggles they had on the Mickey Mouse tower in Orlando?

55 – DIKEMBE MUTOMBO

WHO WANTS TO SEX MUTOMBO?

56 – FRANCISCO ELSON

Great job picking your number, Francisco.

57 – HILTON ARMSTRONG

Is this guy still in the league?

58 – NO PLAYERS

Quick, someone take this number!

59 – NO PLAYERS

I can understand this.  59 is a pretty crappy number.

60 – WALT KIRK

The only other guy who ever wore #60 only played in 9 NBA games in his career... so...

61 – DAVE PIONTEK

I'm guessing this number was a lot more popular back in the 60's.

62 – SCOT POLLARD

Samurai Scot!

63 – NO PLAYERS

Meh.

64 – NO PLAYERS

This is a decent number.

65 – GEORGE KATKOVICZ

Only guy to ever wear this number.  Someone wanna take it from him?

66 – SCOT POLLARD

I love that Pollard is on here twice.

67 – MOE BECKER

Man, these numbers are really up for grabs.

68 – MILT SCHON

Seriously, it wouldn't take much to outduel Milt for this one.

69 – NO PLAYERS

Am I the only one surprised that there has never been a #69 in the NBA?

70 – DENNIS RODMAN

Dallas Worm.

71 – WILLIE NAULLS

This has taken over 10 minutes of my time.  I really thought I'd be finished by now.

72 – JASON KAPONO

The definition of a one trick pony.

73 – DENNIS RODMAN

Los Angeles Worm.

74 – NO PLAYERS

I'm getting sleepy.

75 – NO PLAYERS

Only 24 more to go.

76 – SHAWN BRADLEY

Retired by Tracy McGrady.

77 – VLADIMIR RADMANOVIC

Well done, Vlad.

78 – NO PLAYERS

I wish I didn't set a precedent of commenting on every number.

79 – NO PLAYERS

This should be blank.

80 – NO PLAYERS

But I can't just leave one blank.

81 – NO PLAYERS

Therefore I have to write this.

82 – NO PLAYERS

So many diminishing returns right now.

83 – CRAIG SMITH

I didn't know Craig Smith ever played for the Portland Trailblazers.  You learn something new every day.

84 – CHRIS WEBBER

Detroit C-Webb.  Yikes.

85 – BARON DAVIS

Baron played like he was 85 for the Knicks.

86 – CHRIS JOHNSON

Not the NFL player.  I'm assuming.

87 – NO PLAYERS

Some dude born in 1987 should rock this jersey.

88 – ANTOINE WALKER

Shimmy.

89 – CLYDE LOVELLETTE

Not Clyde the Glide.

90 – DREW GOODEN

Ridiculous that he's still in the league.

91 – DENNIS RODMAN

Chicago Worm.

92 – DESHAWN STEVENSON

Remember when this guy posted a picture of his black card online?

93 – METTA WORLD PEACE

I still can't believe the Rockets got Ron Artest for Donte Greene.  Thank you, not-so-meaningless NBA summer league.

94 – EVAN FOURNIER

I would totally take this number if I were in the league.

95 – NO PLAYERS

Or this one.  Clutch City!

96 – METTA WORLD PEACE

I loved Ron Artest on the Rockets.

97 – NO PLAYERS

Almost done here.

98 – JASON COLLINS

I wasted 20 minutes of a busy work week doing this.

99 – GEORGE MIKAN

The end.

No comments:

Post a Comment