Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Deja Vu All Over Again

So far in 2016, it's been deja vu all over again.

This time last year, I was traveling from Houston to Denver to train with people whose jobs I was essentially taking over.  It was a sticky situation where I didn't want to step on anyone's toes, as those toes were soon officially losing their employment status.

Fast forward to today, and I am in the midst of my third week at my new company in Sugar Land, but they've sent me to Kansas City to train with people whose jobs I will essentially be taking over.  Yet another potentially awkward set of circumstances.

But in both instances, the people have just been so warm and welcoming.  Not that I had anything to do with the loss of their jobs in either case, but they could have just as easily seen me as the bad guy who's not only taking away their livelihoods but also forcing them to teach me how to do my job.

It's a delicate balance, and one where I am thankful to have met such resilient and big-hearted people at a time when our economy is anything but stable.  Thanks, humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment